Primary Education (Bachelor of Arts)
The Primary Education program, a labor market oriented program, aims through an integrated curriculum, to provide the knowledge and skills that will enable graduates to teach effectively in elementary schools.
To provide a comprehensive program of study in Education with specialization in Primary Education.
To provide the skills and knowledge necessary to future educators for effective teaching in primary schools
To provide knowledge regarding the characteristics of children’s development and the concepts and skills that support children’s future developmental growth.
To prepare students to undertake teaching responsibilities in the context of the school’s timetable and teaching schedule (curriculum).
To prepare students to actively participate in all workshops, events, and activities of the primary school.
To prepare students to perform all tasks assigned to them and which aim to support the students, the school and education in general.
To build the foundations for students to gradually develop their own value judgments in relation to educational values and theories.
- Critically and dialogically assess and redefine their professional identity
- Respond to everyday professional practice as educational researchers in the context of a continuous process of professional development:
- To assess and discuss general and more specialized issues of pedagogy and teaching within the context of primary education
- To collect and analyze data from their practice
- To identify issues/problems and apply plans of action for responding/solving such issues and ultimately for betterment of their practice
- To respond to their own practice reflexively and criticality
Be proficient in research, especially concerning issues of planning, application and critical reading of educational research:
- To critically evaluate research outcomes available in schools or other educational frameworks
- To participate in the design and execution of research in class or in school level or a more general framework aiming to answer specific research questions.
Be familiar with contemporary trends and discussions regarding fundamental issues of pedagogy as well as of different aspects of educational science within a historical, philosophical, sociological and psychological framework of pedagogy and education:
- To realize and assess the impact of historic, philosophical, sociologic, and psychological issues on their everyday practice
- To understand and evaluate the impact of historic, philosophical, sociologic, and psychological issues on the introduction of innovations in the educational system and more particular in their everyday practice.
Build knowledge, attitudes and skills that enrich their teaching practices and general pedagogical philosophy in relation to the different subject areas of the primary school’s Curriculum, and their personal broader professional competence in a variety of educational frameworks:
- To develop comprehensive lesson plans and to apply them with educational sensitivity and flexibility.
- To differentiate their teaching practice and teaching material in a way that adequately responds to the needs of mixed ability classes.
- To teach a variety of subject areas acknowledging contemporary methodological and scientific issues that relate to each one of these.
- To develop, apply and assist programs in different aspects of the curriculum with research potential.
To contribute to the wider school/educational life of the context in which they are working in a way that assists communication and cooperation between school and community and provides authentic experiences to children.
All students pursuing the Bachelor of Arts in Primary Education must complete the following requirements:
|CYCLE Α’: EDUCATIONAL SCIENCES AND PSYCHOLOGY||45||87|
|CYCLE Β΄: TEACHING METHODOLOGY AND SCHOOL EXPERIENCE||63||104|
|CYCLE C΄: CONTENT COURSES||18||31|
|CYCLE D΄: GENERAL EDUCATION COURSES||9||18|
|CYCLE Α’: EDUCATIONAL SCIENCES AND PSYCHOLOGY||45 Credits||87 ECTS|
|EDG101||Introduction to Pedagogy||3||6|
|EDG201||School Classroom: Communication, organization and management||3||5|
|EDG207||Sociology of Education||3||6|
|EDG208||History of Education||3||6|
|EDG308||Special and Inclusive Education||3||5|
|EDG309||Philosophy of Education||3||6|
|PSG306||Psychology of Learning||3||5|
|PSG312||Psychology of Language and Reading||3||6|
Choose one of the courses below :
Choose two of the courses below :
|EDG323||Educational Measurement and Evaluation||3||5|
|EDG401||Management-Organization of Primary School and Education||3||5|
|EDG404||Contemporary Educational Issues||3||5|
|CYCLE Β΄: TEACHING METHODOLOGY AND SCHOOL EXPERIENCE||63 Credits||104 ECTS|
|EDG215||Early Reading and Writing||3||5|
|EDG216||Teaching of the Greek Language in the Primary School||3||5|
|EDG220||Computers and Educational Technology||3||5|
|EDG232||Mathematics Education in the Primary School||3||5|
|EDG242||Teaching Natural Sciences in the Primary School||3||5|
|EDG252||Music Education in the Primary School||3||5|
|EDG262||Art and Aesthetic Education in the Primary School||3||5|
|EDG267||Physical Education in the Primary School||3||5|
|EDG272||Geography Education in the Primary School||3||5|
|EDG273||History Education in the Primary School||3||5|
|EDG275||Religion and Ethics Education in the Primary School||3||5|
|Elective Courses in Teaching Methodology||6||10|
Choose two of the courses below :
|EDG217||Teaching Second Language in the Primary School||3||5|
|EDG218||Teaching Children’s Literature||3||5|
|EDG264||Design and Technology in the Primary School||3||5|
|EDG269||Health Education and Home Economics in the Primary School||3||5|
|EDG281||School Practice I||3||5|
|EDG391||School Practice ΙΙ||6||8|
|EDG406||School Practice ΙΙΙ||6||10|
Students choose two courses from the specialization of their choice1
|Specialization in Language/Linguistics and Literacy||0||0|
|EDG219||Language, Literacies and Interdisciplinarity||3||5|
|EDG221||Teaching of Greek as a Second Language||3||5|
|EDG222||Contemporary Approaches in Teaching Language and Literacy||3||5|
|Specialization in Mathematics||0||0|
|EDG233||Contemporary Issues in Mathematics||3||5|
|EDG234||Educational Applications of New Technologies in Teaching Mathematics||3||5|
|N/A||One course in Mathematics from an equivalent EUC undergraduate program||3||5|
|Specialization in Special / Inclusive Education||0||0|
|EDG311||Differentiation in Inclusive Education||3||5|
|EDG312||Children Behavior Management||3||5|
|EDG313||Specialized Issues in Special/Inclusive Education||3||5|
|Specialization in Art Education*||6||10|
|Specialization in Music Education*||6||10|
|Specialization in Physical Education*||6||10|
|CYCLE C΄: CONTENT COURSES||18 Credits||31 ECTS|
|EDG141||Basic Concepts of Mathematics||3||5|
|EDG241||Natural Sciences in Primary School: Physical and Chemical Phenomena and Changes||3||5|
|HIG126||History of Cyprus||3||5|
|MGG220||Modern Greek Language I||3||6|
|MGG331||Issues of Teaching and Structure of Greek Language||3||5|
|CYCLE D΄: GENERAL EDUCATION COURSES||9 Credits||18 ECTS|
|N/A||1 Course Free Elective General Education||3||6|
|N/A||2 Courses in English Language||6||12|
Students who do not wish to choose specialization courses but wish to select courses from the Early Childhood Education Degree, may do so, with their academic advisor’s consent.
The two courses in English language are selected after a test is conducted, so as determine the level of the student’s competence in English. If the level of competence is equal to that of the level of completion of ENG 102, then the remaining courses can be replaced with those from the General Education Courses category (courses from recognised programmes of study from the University not included in Primary Education degree) or , with the consent of their academic advisor, from Elective Courses from the Program of Primary Education.
Any course from a University recognized program of study, with the exception of the Program of Primary Education.