Dr George Christofi is a holder of a BMus (First Class), and MMus in Classical Guitar Performance (Distinction) from the University of Hull and an MA (Distinction) and a PhD in Composition from the University of York. His studies were funded by the University of York MA Scholarship, the Vinson Award, The Sir Jack Lyons Research Grant and The A.G. Leventis Foundation Research Scholarship. During his U.K. residency had enjoyed a 6-year shortlisting by the London based artistic organisation Sound and Music (ex- SPNM: Society for the Promotion of New Music) and his music is now part of the BMC (British Music Collection).
Christofi’s music reached audiences in more than 15 countries worldwide and been broadcast on BBC Radio 3. Festivals which hosted his music include: ‘Clarinet baix i electronica’ by PHONOS-FUNDACIÓ MÚSICA CONTEMPORÀNIA (Spain), International Music Festival Heidelberger ‘Frühling 2007’ (Germany), ‘Attention Musiques Fraîches ! 2008’ Festival (Belgium), Pescara Fiera Festival 2008 (Italy), 2008 Seoul International Computer Music Festival (Korea), Nuova Musica a Treviso (Italy), The 3rd Pharos Contemporary Music Festival (Cyprus), ECO Sound (Belgium), Centro Culturale San Fedele - Electrobag on Tour (Italy), the 21st International Review of Composers (Serbia), LondonEar Contemporary Festival (U.K.), APNM Chamber Music for the 21st Century (New York) among others.
Dr Christofi had also the opportunity to externally study with distinguished composers, such as Ferneyhough, Sciarrino, Hosokawa, Neuwith, Boesmans, Harvey among others, at various international artistic programmes where he was selected as a fellow in venues including: the Centre Acanthes (selected for three consecutive years in France and Belgium), Voix-Nouvelles Residency (Fondation Royaumont, Paris), Ircam Academy (Glasgow), Premio Niccolò Castiglioni (Centro Culturale San Fedele, Milano, Italy), the VICC Residency (Visby, Sweden) and others.
He is a Music Theory and Composition Lecturer at the European University Cyprus and a founding member of the European Guitar Teachers Association (Cyprus branch). His music has been published by the Italian Publishing House ARS Publica.
Since October 2015, he has been the coordinator of the Bachelor of Music Programme.
Selected Performances of Christofi’s works
- 2016 Music for the 21st Century: National Opera Centre of New York (US)
- 2015 enLive: Music for Silent Film (Cyprus)
- 2015 4th Festival of New Music: dissonArt Ensemble(Cyprus)
- 2014 WUE: Constructing a repertoire, LSO St. Luke‘s (England)
- 2013 Sinfonieorchester Basel Concert: Das Buch der Unruhe (Switzerland)
- 2013 40th JAHRE FREIBURGER SCHLAGZEUGENSEMBLE (Germany)
- 2013 Artos Foundation: Institut français de Chypre concert Series (Cyprus)
- 2013 London Ear Contemporary Festival (England)
- 2012 21st International Review of Composers (Serbia)
- 2012 The Goethe Foundation: Violin and Piano Recital (Cyprus)
- 2012 Centro Culturale San Fedele (Italy)
- 2011 Musik für Zeitgenossen! (Germany)
- 2011 The 3rd Pharos Contemporary Music Festival (Cyprus)
- 2011 ECO Sound (Belgium)
- 2010 Ursula Vaugham Williams: In Memoriam (England)
- 2009 Centre Acanthes (France)
- 2009 Nuova Musica a Treviso Festival (Italy)
- 2009 Modular ART World Project in Florida (US)
- 2008 ‘Attention Musiques Fraîches ! 2008’ Festival (Belgium)
- 2008 Escola Superior de Música de Catalunya: Bass Clarinet (Spain)
- 2008 2008 Seoul International Computer Music Festival (Korea)
- 2007 International Music Festival Heidelberger ‘Frühling 2007’ (Germany)
- 2007 FESTIVAL AUCARRÉ – PETITES FORMES OPERATIQUES (Belgium)