Maro Skordi is a senior instructor in Music Education, School of Arts and Education Sciences, of the European University Cyprus since autumn 2010. She holds a Diploma of the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama and a Master’s Degree in Music (Arts in Education, Professional Studies), Institute of Education, University of London. She worked as a Music Teacher in secondary schools (1970-1983), for the Curriculum Development of the Ministry of Education and Culture (1983-1987), the Pedagogical Academy of Cyprus (1985-1986), the Pedagogical Institute of the Ministry of Education and Culture (1986-1994), as a special teaching personnel in the Education Department, University of Cyprus (1996-1998), as Assistant Headmistress in secondary schools (1994-1996), for the Cultural Services of Ministry of Education and Culture (1999-2000), as a Music Supervisor in Secondary Education (2000-2007) and as a First Administrator of Education, Ministry of Education and Culture (2007-2008). She was piano accompanist to choirs and soloists in concerts, president of Committees (Allumni Association- Pedagogical Institute, University of London, in Cyprus, Music Committee- Inauguration and Final Ceremony of the World Gymnasiade, the Cyprus Music Committee, the Secondary Teachers’ Association) and member of juries (Llangollen Eisteddfod Wales – 1998, 1999, Choral competitions and Song Contests). She a member of the team setting of entrance exams to the Universities of Greece and Head of the Committee setting the Final Music Exams in Secondary Education and Entrance Music Exams to the Greek Universities (2000-2008). She worked for the development of the New Music Curricula as member of the Committee (1990) and as Head of the Committee for the development of the New Music Curricula in Secondary Education (2000-2007). She was choral conductor of the ‘Choir of the Music Club’, University of Cyprus (1996-1998), the Children’s Choir, Greek College of Music (1997-2004), the Youth Choir, European University of Cyprus (2010-2014), the ‘Leandros Sitaros’ of Pnevmatiki Steghi, Nicosia choir (1984 until today) and the ‘Polyfonia’ Chamber Choir (2003 until today).
Seminars, Music Workshops on the pedagogy of Music for Nursery School teachers, for Primary and Secondary school Music teachers: ‘The importance of musical play’ - Seminar and Music Workshop for all Nursery School Teachers of Limassol and Pafos (2014, 2015), Seminars for the Cyprus secondary school Music teachers (2000-2008), Seminars on Music Pedagogy for the Ministry of Labour and Social Security (1997), Music Workshops in Nicosia, Larnaka, Limassol, Famagusta, Pafos for the Pedagogical Institute, Ministry of Education and Culture (1996-1992).
Educational Innovations in Cyprus. With the support of the Ministry of Education and Culture, M. Skordi was able to implement educational innovations in Cyprus:
- 2006 - Organization of Cyprus’ first participation in the Panellenian Musical Games.
- 2006 - Implementation of the first Music Lyceum in Cyprus (Nicosias, Febr. 2006, Limassol, Sept. 2006).
- 2002 - ‘Artists in Schools’ – Educational Programmes (2002-Ancient Greek Orchestra Terpandros, 2002- ‘Around the World with a Saxophone Quartet’, and other)
- 2002 - ‘Regional Choirs and Orchestras’
- 1999 – Organization and Presentation of ‘The Educational Programmes of the State Orchestra’ for the first time in Cyprus. Writing special booklets with suitable material for the participating students.
- 1999 – Organization of big projects using the multidisciplinary approach with the co-operation of the State Orchestra, Cypriot Composers and Schools (Ministry of Education and Culture).
- 1999 – Educational Concerts of the State Orchestra.
- 1991 - Projects in a big scale using the multidisciplinary approach, with the involvement of schools, performers and composers: Prometheus Bound (1996), Ancient Greek music and civilization (1991, 1993, 1995, 2001, 2005), ‘Apopse tragoudoume Kypriaka’, talented students from Larnaka and Ammohostos Lycea, composer M. Christodoulides (2005), A Jazz project – students from Larnaka Lycea.
- Co-operation with Associations, Organizations, Embasies (The Pharos Trust Organization, The British Council, The Goethe Institute, The American Embassy) for the organization of educational concerts and projects (Urban Strawberry Lunch, ‘Between the Notes’ - Matthew Barley, Duende Jazz, etc.)
- Implementation of the First Music Competition of the Pharos Trust Organization for students from Lycea.
‘Leandros Sitaros’ (Presentation of the book ‘Leandros Sitaros – his life and work’), 2012. ‘Leandros Sitaros’ (organized by the Ag. Omologites Brotherhood Association in honour of L. Sitaros, 2012. ‘Leandros Sitaros, his life and work’ (organized by the Secondary School Teachers’ Organization ΟΕΛΜΕΚ), 2010. The EOKA struggle for freedom 1955-1959 – source of musical inspiration (Conference organized by The Council for the historic memory of EOKA 1955-1959), 2009. ‘Loulou Symeonidou’ (organized by the Arch. Makarios III Foundation), 2001. ‘Characteristics of Romanticism in Music’ (Arte, Nicosia), 1999. Georges Enescu (Rumanninan Association in Cyprus), 1997. ‘Rusalka’ by Dvorak (for the Radio CyBC), 1995. Benjamin Britten, ‘War Requiem’, 1993. ‘Smetana, Dorak and Janacek’ (Czech Embassy in Cyprus), 1989. ‘Mikis Theodorakis’ (Nicosia Pnevmatiki Steghi, 1989, 1986. Beethoven, his life and work (for the CyBC Radio), Schubert, his life and work (for the CyBC Radio), ‘Children with special needs in the Cyprus primary schools – equal opportunities’ University of Cyprus, 1997.