Since the middle of the 19th century, wind orchestras in Cyprus and Greece constitute an important chapter of national history, culture and society. Hundreds of active wind bands exist in cities, towns and villages. Their role is multi-dimensional (educational, social and musical) and, therefore, of great importance.
The Conference aims to contribute towards the historic documentation of their activity, address the aspects that define their function and operation, and provide a forum for the exchange of ideas that will contribute towards the continuation and advancement of their activities and role.
The Conference will be held at the European University Cyprus in Nicosia on the 6th, 7th and 8th of May 2016. Conductors, music educators and researchers are invited to attend the Conference and submit their applications for a wide range of presentations. The main thematic areas for the conference are as follows:
- History of Greek and Cypriot Wind Orchestras
- Their social, educational and musical role and function
- Internal regulations and institutional and financial aspects of operation
- Difficulties and challenges in the field of their self-identity in regards to the diverse and often conflicting role of marching, religious, symphonic and wind bands, the training of band members, the role of the conductor and issues related to repertoire, performances and service to the community
- The role and function of wind bands in the wider area of the Eastern Mediterranean and the Balkans
Abstracts for 20-minute presentations should have a length of up to 250 words, while proposals for 90 minute round-table discussions with three speakers should not exceed 450 words. Applications for performing groups for the Conference’s musical program are also accepted. The official language of the Conference is Greek. Nevertheless, submissions in English are also accepted. Provisions for poster presentations are also provided.
All submissions should be send to email@example.com
For further questions please call (+357) 22-713239.
The deadline for the submission of all abstracts is February 19th, 2016.