All the materials contained herein are an integral and binding part of this Housing Agreement. It is the student’s responsibility to become familiar with all provisions of this Agreement. To the extent that any provision in this contract is susceptible to more than one meaning, the interpretation of the Director of Housing Services or his/her designee shall control.
A. Reservation Policy: A Housing Deposit of €350 is required for reserving an apartment. The deposit is used against damages that might occur during residents’ stay. The Housing Deposit is refunded to the student upon contract expiration and after the apartment is delivered in a “broom-clean” condition and undamaged. Residents will be held responsible for damages to, or loss of property in the apartment.
B. Housing Deposit - Refund Policy: If a student chooses to cancel the Housing Application prior to entry in the Housing facilities, the following Reservation Refund Policy will be in effect:
The deposit is required to insure European University Cyprus against loss through unpaid rent charges, property loss and excessive wear and tear. Upon termination of the Housing Contract, the housing deposit is refunded, less any amount due for damages (including common area damages), unpaid rent and any other outstanding University charges. Payment of the Housing Deposit does not necessary guarantee apartment assignment. Apartment assignment is subject to availability.
C. Key Deposit:The Key Deposit of €40 is payable together with the Housing Deposit and it is fully refundable at the end of the contract and upon returning the key to the Housing Office.
D. Fire Extinguisher Deposit:Residents who reside in two bedroom apartments in Pouros, Serenity, Harmony House or Perfect House must remit a deposit of €11 per resident. Residents who reside in one bedroom/studio apartment must remit €21. This deposit is fully refundable upon return of the fire extinguisher when the contract expires and provided that the fire extinguisher is returned intact.
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Apartment Assignment. The University reserves the right to make apartment assignments, to authorize or deny room and roommate changes, to consolidate vacancies, and to require a student to move from one apartment to another. Apartment assignments take place only upon written authorization from the Housing Office. Apartments in the University’s Housing Facilities are to be occupied only by the students assigned to them. A student’s right to occupy an apartment in the University’s housing facilities pursuant to this Agreement may not be assigned or transferred by the student.
2. Consolidation. The University may consolidate apartments to full capacity when vacancies occur and move a student to another apartment when such consolidations become necessary. Students who have a two bedroom apartment contract and who do not have a roommate, must either move to another apartment or a roommate will be assigned by the Housing Office.
Any apartment change must be approved and be completed within five days after notification to consolidate. If the consolidation has not occurred within this five day period, the student will automatically be charged and legally obligated to pay for both rooms in a two bedroom apartment.
3. Contract Duration. All housing contracts in Pouros House, Perfect House, Serenity House and Cyprialife Residence have a one year duration. The contract periods are fixed and all housing contracts begin September 1 and end August 28.
In Harmony House the housing contracts have a 9 month duration and the period begins at September 10 and ends June 10.
4. Check-in / Check-out Policy. Upon entry to an apartment, all residents will receive the Check-in Form, which they will need to complete and submit to the Housing Office one week after their entry to the apartment. Each resident will need to submit a separate Form (two, three and four bedroom apartments). The Check-in Form will detail the condition of the apartment and upon contract expiration, during the Check-out, a Housing Officer will evaluate the condition. Failure to submit the Check-in Form will result to charging the resident for all damages found in the apartment during the Check-out process. The residents must deliver the apartment in the same condition in which they received it. Furthermore, the apartment should be delivered with all items and furnishings which are described hereafter and on the Check-in Form. Personal property left in an apartment following the termination of the occupancy will be considered abandoned and the Housing Office will give instructions for its disposal.
5. Description of Furniture and Fixings. All studio/one/two/three/four bedroom apartments in Pouros House, Serenity House, Perfect House, Harmony House and Cyprialife Residence contain: 1/2/3/4 single bed(s), desk(s), library shelves, desk chair(s), armchairs, a coffee table, chest of drawers, a TV stand, a cupboard, a dining table with two chairs, curtains and bathroom fixings. The kitchen is fully equipped with an oven, cooker, refrigerator and a room controlled heat/air condition unit. No alterations or repairs may be made to the assigned apartment, to its furnishing or equipment without the written consent of the Housing Office.
6. Utilities. All utility bills (water, electricity, etc.) and/or deposits or taxes are the sole responsibility of the tenant. Upon contract expiration, residents must present a receipt of payment for the water and electricity bill before they can collect their Housing Deposit.
7. Internet Connection. Wireless internet connection is offered free of charge to all Housing Facilities. It is important to note that in case of internet connection abuse the connection may fail to provide access to the internet, in some cases it may cause termination of the users’ internet access. All Housing Facilities have the necessary provisions in case any residents wish to have their own internet connection, at their own expense.
8. Cancellation Policy. Students who have signed a housing contract and who have commenced occupancy in Pouros House, Perfect House, Serenity House, Harmony House and CyprialifeResidence will be held responsible for fulfilling their obligation underthe contract. A student who withdraws from University housing willbe obligated to pay for the full contract period.
9. Contract Renewal. The resident is required to notify the Housing Office three months prior to the end of the housing contract whether he/she wishes to renew his/her contract in order to safeguard availability. The Housing Office reserves the right to rent the apartment to another individual after the above set period.
10. Delinquent Account. Payment not made by the due date as shown in themethod of payment (see paragraph eleven),may result in the following actions after the 7th calendar day:
- Eviction from the assigned apartment and assessment of withdrawal charges. The resident is evicted from the apartment but the full amount of the Housing Fees as designated by the contract will remain payable.
- A late payment charge of €30 (if payment is remitted within 15 working days).
- Restriction of registration for the next semester until all delinquent payments are made
11. University Obligation. The University has an obligation to ensure an atmosphere conductive to learning, allowing residents to study and rest with a degree of privacy within their apartment. The Housing Office reserves the right to reassign, suspend, or terminate a Resident’s Agreement when such action is deemed necessary or it is recommended by the Resident Assistant or any other staff member or committee.
12. Method of Payment
13. University Liability. The University does not assume any obligation or liability for loss or damage to items of personal property which may occur in the building. This includes but is not limited to damage, loss, fire, theft, flooding etc.
14. Code of Conduct. All residents are required to abide by the code of conduct contained in the University’s Bulletin and Housing Guide.
15. Enforcement Cost. Should the University incur any expenses in the enforcement of any terms of this Agreement, the resident shall pay the cost of such enforcement included, but not limited, to attorney fees.
16. The Right to Entry. The University reserves the right to enter an apartment without notice or permission from the residents to perform routine maintenance inspection and offer repair services. Furthermore, the Housing Office reserves the right to inspect an apartment if there is reasonable cause to believe that the tenant is in breach of contract or that the apartment contains any of the prohibited items listed below.
17. Prohibited Items. The following items are not permitted to be used or stored in student apartments or any other area: any acids, gasoline, firearms or other weapons, drugs or fireworks. Due to health standards and possible inconvenience to other residents, no animals other than fish, are to be housed or kept in the residential facilities.
18. Housing Contract Termination by the University. The University may terminate a Housing Agreement for the following reasons:
- For non-payment.
- Upon disciplinary dismissal of a student from the University.
- Upon violation of a termor condition of occupancy by the student or his/her visitor(s)