Dr. Charalambos Papageorgiou
||School of Humanities, Social and Education Sciences
||Department of Humanities
||Assistant Professor, Philosophy
Born in 1963 in Cyprus, Dr Bambos Papageorgiou received his PhD from University College London in Political Philosophy. In 1991 he joined the European University (then “Cyprus College”) Research Centre eventually heading its socio-economic and political research department. He participated in many research programmes and published numerous articles and studies. He conducted research for many public organizations, including the Cyprus Central Bank and the Cyprus Exchange and Securities Commission.
He was also the presenter of Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation’s financial TV programme for six years. In 2000 he was awarded the “Yiannos Kranidiotis Prize” in honour of his research and commentary work
Appointed by the Cabinet, he served on the Board of Directors of Cyta (Cyprus incumbent telecoms provider) from 2000 to 2006. In late 2008, he was appointed as a Member of the Board of Directors of the Central Bank of Cyprus for a seven year tenure. In early 2011 he left the Central Bank’s Board running successfully for a Cyprus Parliament seat. He served five years as a Member of the Parliament sitting on the Finance Committee and also the Parliament’s Audit Committee.
His academic interests include political philosophy and applied ethics, social attitudes and political behaviour surveying and current social and political affairs.
1987 - 1990 UNIVERSITY COLLEGE LONDON
PhD in Political Philosophy
1986 - 1987 KING’S COLLEGE LONDON
Master of Arts in Philosophy
1981 - 1986 UNIVERSITY OF ATHENS
Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy
- 2015 - Surprising elections amidst exciting times? Of proxies and second-order events in the Cypriot EU elections 2014 (With Charalambous G, Pegasiou A.) South European Society & Politics
- 2014 - A Fuzzy Cognitive Map System to Explore Certain Scenarios on the Cyprus Banking System (With Papaioannou M, Neocleous C, Shizas C.) Proceedings of the International Conference on Fuzzy Computation Theory Rome, Italy 22-24 October, 2014
- 2013 - A fuzzy cognitive map model of the repercussions of Greek PSI on Cypriot economy (With Papaioannou M, Neocleous C, Shizas C.) Computational Intelligence and Informatics (CINTI)
- 2002 - "The Effects of the 1999 Stock market Crash on Cypriot Households", commissioned by the Central Bank of Cyprus
- 2002 - "Corporate Governance in Cyprus" commissioned by the Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission and the Institute of Directors
- 1997 - "The Welfare State: Comparative Attitudes in Cyprus and Several Western Countries" Proceedings of Intercollege seminar on "Corporate State in Government Policy”
- 1993 - “Technical Analysis Applied to the Cyprus Stock Market” (with C. Mastoroudes), Journal of Business and Society
- 1991 - "The Ancient Debate on Democracy", Journal of Business and Society
- 1990 - "Four or Five Types of Democracy in Aristotle?", History of Political Thought XI